Departures

Yangon Untravelled - 5

missing
By Jared Downing, Photos by Phyo Thiha

St Mary’s Cathedral  (Corner of Bogyoke Road and Bo Aung Kyaw Street, Kyauktada Township) 

The Shwedagon Pagoda is the sightseeing king of Yangon, but the Catholics made a good faith effort with St Mary’s Cathedral, a vast edifice of towers and spires completed in 1911 by Dutch architect Father Hendrick Janzen who started with “only bricks and cement” according to the Yangon archdiocese website. The Anglican Holy Trinity Cathedral on the other end of Bogyoke Road (near Bogyoke Market) is somewhat more plain (in Protestant fashion), but for some reason they keep rabbits, guinea pigs, turkeys and monkeys on the grounds as pets.

Share this Post:

Author by mymagical

we love world

0 Comments

Leave a Comment