The High Court of
Yangon Region, a prominent over one-hundred-year-old building, was awarded with
Blue Plaque by Yangon Heritage Trust for its historical status on November 24.
It was the 20th
Blue Plaque which the Yangon Heritage Trust has awarded to historic buildings
for their historical value.
The High Court
building is a Queen Anne style handsome building with an impressive appearance.
Construction was started on the building in 1905. Around that time Myanmar was
an annex of India under British rule. It was finished in 1911 at a cost of 2.
million Rupees designed by India’s government’s advisory architect James
statues were placed on the domes of the building as symbols of the justice
system and a giant clock on a tower of the building that struck once every
It was used as the
Supreme Court of Myanmar starting in 2006.
The high Court
takes up a block between Mahabandoola Park and Pansodan Street and in downtown